- Newly designed 18.1 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor, 14-bit A/D conversion, wide range ISO setting 100-51,200 (L:50, H1: 102400, H2: 204800) for shooting from bright to dim light and next generation Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors for enhanced noise reduction and blazing processing speed.
- New 61-Point High Density Reticular AF including 41 cross-type AF points with f/4.0 lens support including 5 dual diagonal AF points (sensitive to f/2.8), plus EOS iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition) AF for accurate subject tracking.
- EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis) powered by Canon's DIGIC 4 Image Processor, featuring a 100,000-pixel RGB Metering Sensor with subject and color recognition for reliable AE.
- EOS HD Video with manual exposure control and multiple frame rates (1080: 30p (29.97) /24p (23.976) / 25p, 720: 60p (59.94) / 50p, 480: 60p (59.94) / 50p) with 4GB automatic file partitioning (continuous recording time 29 minutes 59 seconds) with selectable "All i-frame" or IPB compression.
- Outstanding shooting performance: up to 12.0 fps continuous shooting (14.0 fps in Super High Speed Mode) using a UDMA CF card.
- Magnesium alloy body with shutter durability tested up to 400,000 cycles, exclusive dust-and-weather resistance, and new Ultrasonic Wave Motion Cleaning (UWMC) for improved vibration-based dust removal.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with superimposed LCD display, approximately 100% field of view, wide viewing angle of 35 degrees, and 0.76x magnification.
- 3.2-inch Clear View II LCD monitor, 170 degree viewing angle, 1,040,000-dot VGA, reflection resistance with multi coating and high-transparency materials for bright and clear viewing.
- Improved handling with the addition of new customizable controls, and enhanced recording options with Dual Card Slots, Gigabit-Ethernet terminal, and compatibility with optional Canon Wireless File Transmitter and GPS Receiver.
Brilliant Sensor, Supercharged Processors.
18.1 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor
The EOS-1D X features a newly developed Canon full-frame 18.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that's designed from the ground up to create high resolution, perfectly detailed images with unprecedented speed and clarity. A full 24 x 36mm, the sensor captures 5184 x 3456 large individual 6.95 µm pixels and has a much-improved S/N ratio resulting in better images from the start. A new photodiode structure with an increased photoelectric conversion rate increases the sensor's sensitivity by approximately 2 stops over previous models, meaning higher ISOs with the lowest noise of any EOS digital camera. And a 2-line 16-channel simultaneous signal readout means speeds of up to 12 fps (RAW + JPEG) and even 14 fps (Super High Speed Mode) are possible!
14-bit A/D conversion, wide range ISO setting 100-51200 (L: 50, H1: 102400, H2: 204800)
The EOS-1D X not only offers 14-bit signal processing for excellent image gradation, it delivers higher standard and expanded ISOs, and a score of new options to enhance shooting in varied and fast-changing lighting situations. With a standard range of ISO 100-51200, the EOS-1D X represents a 2-stop increase in sensitivity over previous cameras. Thanks to the improved signal-to-noise ratio of the new sensor and powerful noise reduction, the EOS-1D X can shoot at expanded sensitivities down to ISO 50 (L) and up to 102400 (H1), and even 204800 (H2)! Beyond the obvious advantages of its wide ISO range, the EOS-1D X has automatic ISO settings, found on the dedicated ISO menu. Minimum and maximum ISO settings can be specified, as can a user-defined range, plus full auto and manual.
Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors for enhanced noise reduction and blazing processing speed
For a whole new level of performance, the EOS-1D X uses Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors that include four 4-channel A/D converter front-end processing circuits and deliver speeds of up to 12 fps (RAW + JPEG) and 14 fps (JPEG). Compared with the predecessor, Canon's DIGIC 4 Image Processor, the Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processor offers approximately 17x faster processing speed, and feature new algorithms that promote greater noise reduction at higher ISOs. In addition to conventional image processing functions the Dual DIGIC 5+ Image Processors offer real-time compensation for Chromatic Aberration in both still and motion images. With the power of these two processors, speed improvements are noticeable from the instant the camera is turned on and the stunning results speak for themselves.