Top 5 Sports & Action Cameras in 2023
In the dynamic realm of action photography, timing and equipment go hand in hand. While your instincts and skills are undeniably crucial, having the best camera for sports photography can be the difference between a missed moment and a masterpiece. Every seasoned sports photographer will tell you that having a top-notch sports action camera is a must.
Whether you're capturing the intensity of a football match or feeling the rush at a racetrack, you need the best sports camera that won't let you down. Dive into our curated list as we present Ted's top five picks, showcasing the best action cameras Australia has to offer for those passionate about sports photography.
How To Pick The Best Sports Action Camera
Choosing the best sports action camera is more than just picking the latest model. It's about understanding your needs, the camera's capabilities, and how they align. Here's a guide to help you make an informed decision:
1. Purpose & Usage: Before diving into the specs, ask yourself - what's your primary objective? Are you aiming to capture those ‘blink-and-you’ll-miss-it’ sports moments, wildlife in action, or are you searching for the best camera for sports photography that's versatile across various scenarios?
2. Sensor Size & Resolution: The heart of any best sports camera is its sensor. Larger sensors excel in capturing more light, which is pivotal for fast-paced sports, especially under fluctuating lighting. Moreover, a higher resolution translates to crisper, more detailed shots.
3. Burst Rate: The essence of action photography lies in capturing fleeting moments. The ability to snap multiple shots rapidly (burst mode) can mean the difference between nailing the perfect frame and missing it. Seek cameras boasting high frames-per-second (FPS) rates.
4. Autofocus System: A swift and precise autofocus system is paramount to ensure your subject remains in sharp focus, especially during rapid movements. Cameras with extensive autofocus points and cutting-edge tracking are ideal for sports photography.
5. Image Stabilisation: This feature is a boon for photographers, offsetting camera shake and ensuring your shots remain sharp, making it a top-ranking contender amongst the best action cameras.
6. Durability & Build: The unpredictability of sports events demands a robust camera. Be it an unexpected downpour during a football match or trackside dust, your camera should be resilient. Prioritise cameras with weather-sealing and sturdy builds.
7. Video Capabilities: If video is your forte, delve into the camera's specs. While 4K video is now standard, scout for high frame rate options for buttery slow-motion captures, especially if you're looking for the best action camera in Australia.
8. Battery Life: The last thing you'd want is your camera powering down amidst crucial moments. Ensure longevity in battery life or have spare batteries at the ready.
9. Ergonomics & Handling: Comfort is critical. A camera that feels right in your hands and intuitive controls can elevate your shooting experience.
10. Budget & Value: While the allure of premium models is undeniable, it's vital to strike a balance between your budget and needs. Often, mid-tier cameras present the best value, packing in features tailored to your photography style.
Remember, the best sports action camera for you aligns with your specific needs and preferences. Take the time to research, compare, and test different models to find your perfect match.
The 5 Best Action Sports Camera
In the thrilling realm of action and sports photography. Capturing the fleeting moments of a race or the intricate dynamics of a game hinges on your choice of camera. As the quest for the best camera for sports photography intensifies, this year has witnessed groundbreaking advancements in camera technology. Brands are continually redefining the benchmarks of speed, resolution, and video prowess. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned pro, discover the best action camera Australia offers, tailored for every sports enthusiast.
1. Canon EOS R8
- 24.2MP Full-Frame Image Sensor
- 4K60p Video Recording
- Portable & Lightweight Built (Just 461 Grams)
- Up To 40FPS Continuous Shooting
- WiFi Connectivity
The Canon EOS R8 is a game-changer in the world of sports photography. This portable and powerful mirrorless camera is designed to precisely capture the fast-paced action of sports. With a 24.2MP full-frame image sensor, the EOS R8 ensures that every detail is clearly captured. Its ability to record 4K60P videos makes it a versatile choice for photographers and videographers.
What sets the EOS R8 apart is its incredible speed. With up to 40 frames per second of continuous shooting, you won't miss a single moment of the action. Moreover, its unique pre-shooting feature captures images before pressing the shutter, ensuring you always get the perfect shot.
The EOS R8 is not just about performance; it's also about convenience. Weighing in at just 461 grams, it's perfect for on-the-go photography. Whether at a local sports event or travelling to capture the world's most exciting sports moments, the EOS R8 is your reliable companion. Its WiFi connectivity lets you instantly share what you capture, making it perfect for professionals, enthusiasts and influencers.
Best Camera For: Sports photographers and videographers need a lightweight yet powerful camera that can keep up with fast-paced action and deliver high-quality results.
2. Canon EOS 90D
- 11 FPS continuous shooting
- 45-Point Cross-Type AF
- Optical Viewfinder
- 32.5MP APS-C Sensor
Despite being considered a mid-level Digital SLR, the Canon EOS 90D is one of the best affordable sports cameras suitable for beginners and even professionals. Although lacking a full-frame sensor, its 32.5MP APS-C CMOS sensor is more than capable, recording 4K30p video and snapping incredible photos under low light conditions.
Plus, with 45 points of auto-focus, the Canon EOS 90D can capture still images in a super quick burst of up to 11 frames per second while also keeping track of fast-paced action thanks to additional auto-focus features like dual pixel focus and eye detection. To extend the shooting power of the 90D, add the Canon BG-E14 battery grip for a boatload of battery life.
2. Nikon Z9
- 45.7MP FX-Format CMOS Sensor
- 20 FPS Continuous Shooting
- 8K Video Recording
- ISO: 64-25600 (expandable to 32-102400)
- 493-Point Phase-Detection AF System
The Nikon Z9 is a testament to Nikon's commitment to pushing the boundaries of what's possible in photography. With a 45.7MP FX-Format CMOS sensor, the Z9 captures images with breathtaking detail and clarity. Its ability to shoot 8K video makes it a powerhouse for videographers, offering cinematic-quality footage.
The camera's 20 FPS continuous shooting ensures you won't miss a moment, making it perfect for action and sports photography. The 493-point phase-detection AF system provides sharp focus across the frame, and with an ISO range expandable to 102400, low-light shooting is a breeze. The perfect sports camera for professional photographers, the Z9's rugged build and ergonomic design make it a joy to use, ensuring durability and comfort during extended shooting sessions.
Best Camera For: Professional photographers and videographers who demand the best in image quality and performance, especially those in action, sports, and wildlife photography.
3. Fujifilm X-T5
- 40.2MP BSI X-Trans CMOS Sensor
- 15FPS Mechanical Continuous Shooting
- 5-Axis Built-In IS
- 6.2K30p Video Recording
- Rugged, Dust & Moisture-Resistant Build
The Fujifilm X-T5 mirrorless camera is designed for enthusiasts who demand high-quality imaging performance combined with user-friendly features in a compact form. Its 40.2MP BSI X-Trans image sensor delivers stunning, high-resolution images, and the camera can also record impressive 6.2K30p videos.
A robust 5-axis built-in IS system ensures smooth, blur-free results across various shooting conditions. Furthermore, the X-T5 is built to withstand the elements with its rugged dust and moisture-resistant construction.
Of particular interest to enthusiast-level photographers, the Fujifilm X-T5 combines a portable yet rugged build with premium imaging results and a range of easy-access dials for a pleasing user experience. This camera is perfect for street, landscape, travel, and portrait photography. The X-T5's advanced AF system is known for its speed, smoothness, and accuracy, making it excellent for tracking moving subjects. The camera also boasts a high-speed continuous shooting mode of 15FPS with a mechanical shutter, allowing users to easily capture fast-paced action.
Best Camera For: Enthusiast photographers who want a blend of high-quality imaging, user-friendly features, and a rugged build suitable for travel and everyday photography.
4. Sony A7C Mark II
- 33MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- BIONZ XR Processing Engine
- 10 FPS Continuous Shooting
- Built-In 5-Axis Stabilisation
- 4K Video Recording & 2.36-million Dot EVF & Vari-Angle LCD
The Sony A7C Mark II is a testament to Sony's commitment to packing full-frame power in a compact body, making it a top choice for daily shooting and travel. This mirrorless camera boasts a 33MP full-frame CMOS sensor paired with the BIONZ XR processing engine. This combination ensures optimal exposures in both still and video modes.
The camera's speed is evident with its 10 frames per second continuous shooting, complemented by a swift 759 phase-detection AF system. This ensures you can take advantage of every moment, even in fast-paced scenarios. The built-in 5-axis Image Stabilisation ensures steady and blur-free results for those concerned about camera shake. Framing your shots is a breeze with the high-resolution EVF and the versatile vari-angle LCD screen.
Best Camera For: Photographers and videographers seeking a compact yet powerful full-frame mirrorless camera suitable for daily captures and travel adventures. Its versatility makes it an excellent choice for content creators requiring high-quality video and stills.
5. Nikon Z6II
- Built-in VR Stabilisation
- 24.5MP Backside-illuminated FX sensor
- 14 FPS Continuous shooting
- 4K UHD Video Recording
- ISO: 50-204800 (expanded)
The Nikon Z6II is a revamped version of its predecessor, which had already garnered significant praise. This mirrorless camera is a true all-rounder, perfect for capturing sharp, detailed stills and cinematic video. With a 24.5MP FX-Format sensor and 4K UHD video capabilities, the Z6II doesn't compromise quality. Including Nikon’s Dual EXPEED 6 processing engines ensures excellent low-light performance and rapid speeds.
This camera can continuously shoot up to 14 frames per second and focuses swiftly, making it a versatile tool for various photography styles. Its portability and powerful features make it a top choice for capturing life's significant moments.
Best Camera For: Photographers and videographers looking for a versatile mirrorless camera that excels in both stills and video, especially in low-light conditions. Ideal for those who want a combination of power and portability.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sports & Action Cameras
Why is a high FPS rate important for sports photography?
A high frames-per-second (FPS) rate lets photographers quickly capture multiple shots. This is crucial for action photography, where moments happen in the blink of an eye, ensuring you don't miss that perfect shot.
What's the difference between a full-frame sensor and an APS-C sensor?
A full-frame sensor is equivalent in size to a 35mm film frame, while an APS-C sensor is smaller. Full-frame sensors generally provide better image quality, especially in low-light conditions, but cameras with these sensors tend to be pricier. APS-C sensors, on the other hand, are more common in mid-range and entry-level cameras.
How does image stabilisation benefit sports photography?
Image stabilisation compensates for minor camera shakes, especially when shooting at slower shutter speeds or using telephoto lenses. In sports photography, where rapid movements are common, this feature ensures that images remain sharp and clear.
Why is autofocus speed crucial for sports cameras?
In action-packed scenarios, subjects move rapidly. A fast and accurate autofocus system ensures that subjects remain sharp, capturing every detail of the action without blur.
Are mirrorless cameras better than DSLRs for sports photography?
Both mirrorless and DSLR cameras have their merits. Mirrorless cameras are generally lighter and more compact, making them easier to handle during extended shooting sessions. They also offer faster burst rates and better video capabilities.
However, DSLRs have a broader lens selection and often better battery life. The best choice depends on individual preferences and specific needs.
How important is weather sealing for a sports action camera?
Sports events can be unpredictable, with sudden changes in weather conditions. A weather-sealed camera ensures that moisture, dust, and other elements don't damage the camera, allowing photographers to continue shooting without worries.
Can I use my sports action camera for other types of photography?
Absolutely! While these cameras are tailored for action and sports photography due to their fast autofocus and high FPS rates, their features make them versatile for various photography styles, including wildlife, landscape, and portrait.
Elevate Your Sports Photography
Stepping up your sports photography goes beyond having the best sports camera. Equipping yourself with the best action camera is just the beginning. To truly capture the essence of high-speed action, the right lens becomes indispensable. Dive into Ted’s extensive collection of swift action lenses, designed to complement the best camera for sports photography. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned pro, elevate your photography prowess and capture every dynamic moment flawlessly. Still unsure which action camera is right for you? Chat to our photographers experts, online or at one of our nationwide camera stores.
3 Essential Pieces of Equipment to Start a Podcast
Sports Photography Tips and Tricks From a Professional