1. An effective pixel count of 16.0-million pixels and a 7x optical zoom NIKKOR lens with a zoom range beginning at wide-angle 28mm (equivalent in 35mm  format), all in a slim and stylish body
2. 3-in., wide viewing angle touch panel TFT LCD monitor for smooth operation
The touch panel can be used with features such as the Touch Shutter and Subject Tracking. In addition, decorations can be applied, and the supplied stylus can be used to write on photos taken with the camera. The touch panel makes operations, such as just tapping the monitor to create slide shows with animated characters, easy and intuitive.
3. Equipped with 4 functions that enable capture of beautiful nighttime shots in difficult dimly lit or dark surroundings
- Low noise at high sensitivities
The combination of the EXPEED C2 image processing engine that supports high sensitivities and advanced noise reduction processing technology enables superior image quality in images captured at ISO 1600 with automatic ISO sensitivity adjustment and ISO 3200 with manual ISO sensitivity specification.
- Motion detection
The camera detects camera shake and subject movement with shooting, and automatically compensates by controlling shutter speed and ISO sensitivity.
- Lens-shift vibration reduction (VR)
The effects of camera shake are reduced to a degree equivalent to a three-step increase in shutter speed.
- Flash control
Not only is shutter speed reduced with shooting in dimly lit or dark surroundings, but ISO sensitivity is also adjusted to reduce blur caused by camera shake for brighter, more natural photos.
4. A variety of shooting, playback and retouch functions that enable creation of photos as intended
- Pet Portrait mode (new!): When a dog or cat faces the camera, the camera detects the face, focuses on it and then releases the shutter, all automatically. The shutter can also be released manually by disabling the Pet Portrait Auto Release feature.
- Slide shows with animated characters: Create a slide show with animated characters by simply tapping the monitor. The camera is equipped with three background music tracks for use with slide shows.
- Filter Effects: Simply tap the monitor to easily apply filter effects to photos taken with the camera, without connection to a computer. Soft, Selective Color, Cross Screen, Fisheye and Miniature Effect options are available.
5. Easy HD movie recording with the press of a button
HD movies can be recorded by simply pressing the movie-record button. In addition, optical zoom can be used during movie recording.